[AGA Member] old soil substrate from a planted tank

I was redoing a planted tank that had a soil substrate beneath quartz gravel. The old substrate had a rotting smell to it when I removed it. I assume that this is bad, but I was wondering if any of you knew better. I am redoing the tank because nothing will grow in it anymore even plants that I've had success with in the past. The strange part was the the roots of many of the plants looked healthy and white.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich Schiek