Re: [AGA-Member] GLOB from DIY Co2 using TAG recipe?

Baking soda just keps the mixutre's pH from going too far
south, the yeast prefer the pH above 3-4 unit.

You can try adding some ammonium sulfate -- yeast like
ammonia.

The protein powder provides the nutrients for the yeast.
Sugar is for them as for us, empty calories.

Other carbohydrates (starch) serve pretty mucht he same
purpose as sugar except that starches can "gel" things a
bit, which might contribute to foaming.
Try leaving out the molasses and see if that makes the
diff. There's nothing like empiricism ;-)

sh
--- SunflwrgrlS@aol.com wrote:

> I appreciate your advice, and I first suspected bacteria
> either from the old
> tank water or some other source; however, the new mix I
> did was new bottle,
> new co2 silicone tubing, the whole works, fresh water,
> and a different protein
> mix. Even new yeast.  I'm now suspecting my molasses as
> it is a new molasses
> too.  I did make some new mixes, so I'll watch how it
> goes.  I'm skipping the
> baking soda from now on, even though my water is very
> soft -- I didn't need it
> in the past.  It takes a few days to do the GLOB thing,
> so I won't know for a
> few days.  I did clean out the bottle with very hot water
> (just short of
> boiling) and it is empty right now.  I don't want to
> throw that one out as it is one
> of the nice big orange juice bottles.
>
> I'm intrigued as to why the cornstarch though?  I have
> some cornstarch and
> never use it, so if it can somehow help, I'll add it to
> my co2 mix.
>
> You use a lot of protein powder. I had only used a little
> before and
> suspected maybe I put in too much, but it would have only
> been one scoop.  In the
> past, I'd sprinkle it in from the envelopes they came in.
>   Well, I'll update if
> anything changes.
>
> I also wondered about pectin.  Does molasses have pectin?
>  Might it be from
> the cooler temperatures?  My house is getting to 69
> degrees at night lately,
> and the times it did the glob was overnight (although I
> can't remember if the
> first time it got that cold or not).
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>

> In a message dated 10/10/2004 1:48:58 AM Eastern Standard
> Time,
> hgladney@comcast.net writes:
> Not an expert source, but until recently, I had a whole
> gang of bottles
> eating sugar every week!
> I suspect two things:  off-balance proportions or
> contaminated source
> supplies.  You could have some sort of bacteria going in
> there when you
> put the bottles together, in spite of using different
> bottles.  Perhaps
> something else has crept in on utensils or storage
> containers that goes
> wild on such a great high-quality culture.  I believe the
> helpful
> article noted that yeast solutions can be overtaken by
> other things such
> as molds, and there are bacteria that do make impressive
> gelatinous masses.
>
> You may want to run your bottle lids (tubing and all)
> through hot water
> and soap, recheck proportions you're using, use different
> utensils,
> perhaps try a different recipe without yeast food or
> molasses, or try
> different supplies of them.

> [...]

=====
Still some time left to get the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.
aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org

Speakers, 3 Focus Groups in two sessions each, plus Field Trip, Banquet, auctions of equipment and plants from some of the best companies, gardeners & nurseries in the hobby.