Re: [AGA-Member] GLOB from DIY Co2 using TAG recipe?

SunflwrgrlS@aol.com wrote:

I appreciate your advice, and I first suspected bacteria either from the old tank water or some other source; however, the new mix I did was new bottle, new co2 silicone tubing, the whole works, fresh water, and a different protein mix. Even new yeast.

Ahh, excellent, you're way ahead of me on it.

I'm now suspecting my molasses as it is a new molasses too. I did make some new mixes, so I'll watch how it goes. I'm skipping the baking soda from now on, even though my water is very soft -- I didn't need it in the past.

The soda is just to keep pH stable as the mix ages, so it lasts longer. I think the article mentioned that the alcohol content will eventually slow down an kill the yeast.

It takes a few days to do the GLOB thing, so I won't know for a few days. I did clean out the bottle with very hot water (just short of boiling) and it is empty right now. I don't want to throw that one out as it is one of the nice big orange juice bottles.

I'm intrigued as to why the cornstarch though? I have some cornstarch and never use it, so if it can somehow help, I'll add it to my co2 mix.

I had read somewhere on the net that it gives a platform for the yeast to attach and spread out besides the walls of the bottle--sort of like a spnge filter surface. What I suspect is also that it gives some micronutrients, as with using protein or molasses.

You use a lot of protein powder.

I was not using powder, it was drink mixture already made up, ready to drink, just what I happened to have. Just lucky, as it gave me much less risk of overdoing it! Also adds in a little more sugar.

I had only used a little before and suspected maybe I put in too much, but it would have only been one scoop. In the past, I'd sprinkle it in from the envelopes they came in. Well, I'll update if anything changes.

I also wondered about pectin.  Does molasses have pectin?

No, generally not. I wouldn't have expected your protein mix to have it either, as it takes heat to activate pectin (as in making jelly--such as gelatines or agars) but a cool-coagulating material such as carrageenan may be involved there.

Might it be from the cooler temperatures? My house is getting to 69 degrees at night lately, and the times it did the glob was overnight (although I can't remember if the first time it got that cold or not).

If the protein mix has a lot of one of the thickeners such as guar gum or gelatine or carrageenan which coagulate as the mix cools, then cooler temp would do it. Changing to a different protein supply ought to fix that..

Thanks again for your help!

You're welcome--and of course I defer to S. Hieber's advice, as it's been incredibly helpful to me with tank chemistry issues.