[AGA-Member] How dark should be the "dark" period?

Hi,

We usually provide our plants with 10-12 light period for photosynthesis.

But what about the other 12-14 hours of darkness? how dark could they be?

During the hot summer days I was turning on the lights during the night and in the morning/noon time the tank lights were off but the tank got tons of indirect sun light penetrating through the very big window in my living room. I noticed that plants weren't during very good and would like to understand if it was more of a heat issue (29-30C).

I think plants need darkness in order to respire but this ends my understanding of this.

Could anyone please educate me a little more?

Aviel.