Re: [AGA-Member] substrate critter

Hmmm... Yummy. You know, I have those little red squiggly worms in my (planted) guppy tanks, but the substrate there is 50/50 Flourite/gravel mix, so I never see little hills. And the guppies are definately pigs; if there was a way to get at the worms, they would find it.

On the other hand, I wonder if my guppies have parasites?

This is the wrong list for THAT discussion.

OB plants: somehow I have a HUGE crypt wendetti that I never planted in that tank. I must have transferred it when I set up the tank and used some gravel from an established tank. Which probably also explains the bits of bright green gravel infesting every tank I own! Leftover from my very first tank, 15 years ago. Erik commented on it when he saw my tanks in 2003.

Cheryl

Miles Morrissey wrote:

Hey folks,
                Well, like I said, this is my office tank and having the week between X-mas and New Years off, I had to sieze the opportunity as it were.  I tore down the tank, spent several hours with the gas grille baking the substrate and gravel.  In the process of setting it back up.  Interestingly, what I found in the substrate was worms!!  Red, skinnier than earth worms, 1 - 11/2 inches long.  Didn't know worms could live submersed.  Can't believe the Angels weren't having a field day slurping them up.  I didn't find any malaysian trumpet snails so I guess I never got around to adding them.  I still have no idea how these things would have gotten into the tank.  Any body know if they lay eggs or how they procreate.  I imagine the baking took care of the soil and gravel but all I know how to do with the plants in 5% bleach solution to kill algae and snails.  Hope this takes care of worms.  I'm going to put a clown loach in with the new set up, seems like a rather aggr
essive bottom feeder. I know they eat snails.