Re: [AGA-Member] substrate critter

You have to be careful with loaches as some plants are snacks for them.  Different loaches have different personalities and will behave accordingly.  The clown loaches that I've had in the past would always leave little crescent shaped bite marks on some of my plants.  They did so much damage that I had to remove them.  I now use zerbra loaches.  I had a pair of zebra loaches for a couple of years with no damage, and then one died.  I got a replacement for the one that died after a year or so, and now I occasionally see the crescent shaped holes in my leaves again.  It's not so much that I'll get rid of them, but it's enough to notice.  My experiences with clown loaches was very bad from a plant perspective, but it might have only been one bad actor.  Just a heads up.

Ron Boyd

Terry Barber <terbarb@alltel.net> wrote:
I have several loaches in one of my planted tanks - yoyo, stirated and
skunk. I love them but I cannot keep any snails in there - which I now wish
I had for algae control. My other tanks with snails are just lovely - not a
spec of algae anywhere. Also, clown loaches can get pretty big so perhaps
some of the smaller ones will be good for you - oh and they love to root
around in the substrate and do knock plants out now and again.

Terry Barber
Georgia - USA