Re: [AGA-Member] To much K in the water

There's folks out there who know a great deal more than I do, but Chuck Gadd's site is useful on doing the numbers.
This page goes to adding nitrogen, but check out the rest of what he has to say about water chemistry and fertilizers and amounts.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm
Second the comment about carbon=useless on small ions lke NP or K.
Do water changes.

Nickeydundee@aol.com wrote:

Hello ALL,
Thank you for responding to some of my questions about RO water. A new problem has just happened to me and it is dealing with adding KNO3 to my tank. I am trying to get a better N reading and have been adding KNO3 powder and guess I over did it somewhat. I was adding it to the tank for about three or four days now a little bit at a time and then testing daily to get the nitrate level and it was reading a zero so add some more right. But, today noticed some ick or maybe some lymph outbreak on my discus so tested the K levels of the water and the were above three ppm or higher. From my readings I thought that high levels would be ok and not have a negative impact on fish but I know now that it does. My one discus is up at the top hurting because of the high levels of K so put a lot of carbon into the tank to pull the K out of the water hopefully it will be ok and the discus will make it. So, I have learned first hand not to have to high of a K level in a tank with fish in it. But, begs the question, what else can I use to bring up the nitrate level??? _______________________________________________
AGA-Member mailing list
AGA-Member@thekrib.com

-- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.8 - Release Date: 1/3/05