Re: [AGA-Member] Green Water Problem

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:31:01 -0500
From: stephane jousset <sjousset@hotmail.com>

Is it Diana Walstadt who believes most aquatic gardeners give up because of
algae trouble?
Bingo, as far as I'm concerned. I've been battling a bad green water problem
for weeks and tried everything by the book (water changes, no food or
fertilizer addition, water fleas, duckweed, keeping tank in complete darkness
for 4-days and then some, phosphate/nitrate removal pads in the filter,
clarifying chemical (TetraAqua)).
Dazed and confused by my repeated failures, I've finally resorted to a complete
water change a few days ago (didn't clean the filter) after netting out my
fishes. Alas - a suspicious, faint green halo is slowly rising like a ghost. In
one word: HELP! before I drive a sledgehammer through some amorphous
crystalline material.

I have found that a flocculant Accurel F (works better than most) and cleaning my filters daily helps while I am trying to clearup the underlying cause. Accurel F is some sort of semi natural black water extract. Make sure you rinse the filters. They'll plug up otherwise.

My greenwater seems to be triggered by letting the CO2 and ferts slack off. ie being lazy

AGA-Member mailing list
AGA-Member@thekrib.com