Re: [AGA-Member] Green Water Problem

I can totally agree with you, I know just the frustration you're feeling. The problem is, you're headed in the wrong direction. You're working from the assumption that algae is caused by an overabundance of nutrients; actually, it is more often caused by an imbalance or lack. I'm sure Tom Barr will reply to this, but the basic idea is to feed your plants, not starve them - healthy growing plants = starving, vanishing algae.

Your CO2 looks good, so that's one battle won. Next thing is to add some macronutrients - nitrogen and potassium being the ones to start with. If you have a hydroponics place nearby, potassium nitrate (KNO3) is a great source of both - about a half teaspoon every 3-4 days should keep the levels where they need to be, and should take care of the green water. If you're using KNO3, you want to keep your nitrate between 5 and 10 ppm, and the potassium will be at a good level then too. You can also add a pinch of KH2PO4 as well. If you can't get KNO3, Seachem makes Flourish Nitrogen and Flourish Potassium, dosing instructions are on the bottle.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but if you think about it, algae are small and can grow with almost no nutrients, as you've already discovered, so starving them pretty much never works. Just the leftover stuff in the filter and gravel is enough to keep them going. You have lots of plants, so feed them well, and they will keep the green water far from you.

hth

Rachel
  Bingo, as far as I'm concerned. I've been battling a bad green water problem
  for weeks and tried everything by the book (water changes, no food or
  fertilizer addition, water fleas, duckweed, keeping tank in complete darkness
  for 4-days and then some, phosphate/nitrate removal pads in the filter,
  clarifying chemical (TetraAqua)).