Re: [AGA-Member] Re: Algae eaters -- discus-in' the better ones

One caution about brustle or bushynose plecos (ancistrus).
If you get several in a tank and they begin to spawn, the
multitude of ancitrus in the tank can turn was was once
harmless grazing to serious erosion of the aquascape. Once
they get started, they seem to breed like guppies.

sh
--- Ann Viverette <annv777@houston.rr.com> wrote:

> I am very fond of my albino bristlenose plecos in the
> discus tank. They mind
> their own business, never bother the discus, and I
> suppose they keep it all
> clean, it is perfectly clean and I never even wipe the
> tank. I have two in
> the barebottom 105 gallon with 22 juveniles and they seem
> to be very healthy
> on whatever it is they eat. The discus only get NLS
> Growth and beefheart.
> The bristlenoses either exist on algae or leftovers.
>
> Ann V
>
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:11:52 EST
> > From: Nickeydundee@aol.com
> > Subject: [AGA-Member] Algae eaters
> > To: aga-member@thekrib.com
> >
> > Hello All,
> >        Question about algae eaters  in a discus tank. I
> have found out the
> > meaning of attack Otto's. They love the  coats of
> discus they did however
> > eat a
> > lot of algae. What else is out there that  will eat up
> some algae?? Thank
> > you
> >
> >                                            AZ

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT