Re: [SPAM] [AGA-Member] pH shock - how to support recovery?

My understanding is that the osmotic shock damages their gills. They may be more subject to other illnesses for awhile than normal. If your tank sucks up N without a problem, it's not as critical, but with the change in CO2 supply and pH I'd test for that too, the plants may not be pulling it as rapidly. If your tank normally runs high on N (what, over 10 ppm N?) then I'd do more water changes to keep the water cleaner, less buildup of any wastes, which the fish won't tolerate very well for awhile. The low-tech way would be to water change and let your tap pH stay as is for a couple weeks to let them recover, gradually ramp up the CO2 again.. Higher tech, you could bubble CO2 into your tapwater in a bucket to bring it down in pH if you want to match what you've already got, which requires good consistent testing for a couple of weeks, or a pH probe/monitor.
I ran into this problem myself when first dealing with a weird import CO2 pressure regulator, and I'm trying not to do it again this weekend replacing it!

Kirsten Klinghammer wrote:

I was kind of thinking that, but I wasn't sure.  I will leave the pH alone
for now - ixnay on further water changes, CO2 use, or anything else for
today.  I appreciate you sharing your experience, Troy.

The update: It's now almost two hours since my second water change, and the
angelfish are behaving normally now, the corys are almost fully back to
normal, the SAE's are a bit subdued still, but coming along, and some of the
otos are behaving normally, some are missing and presumed hiding, and one of
them still looks to be in shock (although s/he's breathing still).  Sigh.
We've been lucky, but I wish I could make my oto feel better - and he's one
of the ones I've had the longest.  I'm a LOT less worried that I was an hour
ago, though.

Thank you for your time,

Kirsten