[AGA-Member] Re: UH heaters

I guess I'm just not convinced of the value of a UG heating system, most of
the tanks I've seen don't have them and still look amazing.

I understand the theory, just not sure if it really applies in a micro
system like a planted tank.

I have read from several sources including Don Matakis that it is important
to have a closed bottom stand to prevent the substrate from cooling, but all
my stands have open bottoms save for one, and that one gives me the most
trouble.

I have considered that having the bottom of the tank exposed does create a
temperature differential between the water column, and as long as the
substrate isn't cool enough to affect the roots, would actually create a
limited convection current along the same theory of heater cables.

Any thoughts?