RE: [AGA-Member] undergravel heaters -- or - uncovering thecostsandbenefits

Ya gotta love this hobby.  Look at all this esoteric information!

-----Original Message-----
From: aga-member-bounces@thekrib.com [mailto:aga-member-bounces@thekrib.com]
On Behalf Of Troy Hendrickson
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 10:07 AM
To: Aquatic Gardeners Association Member Chat
Subject: Re: [AGA-Member] undergravel heaters -- or - uncovering
thecostsandbenefits

Hee Hee

Actually it's an electrical testing lab where I work, as the story goes,
this became a subject of debate before I worked there, and they supposedly
put a goldfish in a sleeve testing tank, a stainless steel tank which is
energized at 7,200VAC and the fish lived. The steel tank is hot, the path to
ground are probes that reach into the water filled sleeve, the test measures
the dielectric properties (current leakage) of the sleeve.

Considering some of the rather juvenile behavior I've seen there, I have no
problems believing they did such a thing, don't know about the fish living.

A human of course would be truned into plasma, humans are grounded by the
earth they walk on. The only way (in theory) a fish could get zapped is by
touching a probe and completeing the path to ground.

The DNR here uses DC to stun fish for counts, it works because the fish are
caught between the negative and positive electrodes, with AC since the fish
isn't completing a path to ground just floating in the water, no zap. Any
further explanation would be in the engineers domain and that's where i see
their lips move, but all I hear are seagulls.