Re: [AGA-Member] RE: AGA-Member Digest, Vol 13, Issue 11

First let me say I am not a scientist, what I've learned comes from over 20
years of practical fish keeping, the last ten with more emphasis on plants.
I say this simply because I tend to skip over lengthy articles focusing on
laboratory science and studies, especially when the results are seemingly at
odds with my own experiences. Aquairum keeping is one of those areas where
experience is as valid as scientific study seemingly, which is not to
discount your knowledge, simply to say that what happens in a lab can not
explain everything and there are exceptions to virtually any rule,
especially when one considers that for any study to be applied to the hobby
overall, one would have to assume that every tank is virtually identical to
the study subject, obviously this is not the case. Scientific minds seem all
too eager to discount anecdotal evidence (real world experience) unless it
can be explained, I subscribe to the idea that if it works, it has merit and
perhaps we don't neccessarily need to know how or why it works, as long as
we accept that like science, it might not neccessarily work in all
situations.

I don't claim to know why Amano is having the problems with his substrates
he seems to be saying he is, again, I don't know what he uses, what it's
properties are or for that matter where he gets it, all need to be
considered obviously, but the reality is his experiences can not be applied
to someone elses methods if they aren't using the same set up and science
certainly does not profess to have duplicated every nuance amongst tanks in
order for it say this can work or can't work. I say my system is working,
you can't refute it, nor can I tell you why it works, I have ideas why, but
I haven't the time nor the inclination to question why or why not, that's
where my enjoyment level tends to suffer, my goal is to grow healthy plants,
I have and continue to succeed in that endeavor.

I'm not saying Amano is wrong, just that others don't seem to be having the
problems he is experiencing and perhaps instead of trying to discount what
others have experienced simply because it goes against conventional wisdom
and "science", our efforts may be better spent determining why what some are
doing works and how it can be adapted into other systems.