Re: [AGA-Member] RE: AGA-Member Digest, Vol 13, Issue 11

Hi Troy,

I agree with almost everything you say. I also have
over 30 years of "practical" aquarium keeping
(Although many have argued the "Practical" part:-)).

If it works and your results can back it up then does
it really matter if you can explain why and back it up
by peer reviewed scientific publications, nope.

Yes, scientific minds are always trying to prove or
disprove a theory that is what science is all about,
but the key is always reproducibility. If you can
reproduce something under a controlled environment it
is impossible to argue even though you may not be able
to explain why or how.

However, you also say " I don't claim to know why
Amano is having the  problems with his substrates
 he seems to be saying he is"

I disagree, you seem to be saying he is having
problems not him. Amano treats his apparently
inorganic substrate in the same way we treat an
enriched substrate. He replaces it. Just like we would
a soil based tank. This is not a problem for him.

Cation Exchange Capacity may or may not be a good
measure for us to rate a substrate. It certainly is
not the only criteria. If it was there would be a lot
more folks using cat litter.

 What if there is a finite amount of FE or another
trace element in the gravel that leaches out over time
and then it is gone. In a substrate feeding - water
column lean approach this would make sense.

The bottom line is that many aquarists feel the same
way as you substrate if working properly is covered by
plants. Who cares if it is brick red.

Amano is an artist the substrate is a critical part of
his artistic medium. More so recently with his open
substrate works. If he can find or make a substrate
that gives the visual impression in color, hue,
particulate size and give him good plant growth even
if only for a limited time then to him and many others
it is just not a problem for them to change it every
two years.

I will also tell you that many of the tanks you see in
the aquascaping contests are under a year old. Many
under 6 months. Many of last years award winning tanks
have already been completely redone again.

That being said my planted tanks use flourite or
eccocomplete and have been set up for 2-7 years
continuously. Planned obsolescence is not something I
like in a planted tank. Like your tanks mine are set
up with the intention of keeping them going.

However, I like the color of Amano's substrates and
will likely buy some in the near future for my next
tank. However, I won't be replacing it in two years.

Like you Troy I think that if I can grow plants in it
for two years that I can make up any nutrient
deficiencies through water column ferts and FE tabs or
Jobes Spikes, etc in the substrate. If the substrate
has the ability to support plants for two years any
micro that leeches out can be replenished as long as
you know what it is.

I guess the you could put some of the substrate in a
tank of distilled water and test it over time to see.
I will see for myself after the tank has been set up
for a few years. Time will tell.

Amano is getting good results with his system which is
comprised of more than just the substrate. Others  use
a Sears Conlin- Tom Barr modified approach. If his
system works even though he is apparently throughing
out substrate then why knock it.

His is just a different approach and the results that
this approach gets are difficult to argue with aren't
they?.

Regards,

Larry Lampert
Dallas,TX