Re: [SPAM] Re: [AGA-Member] Possibilities of Sozo Haishoku, etc

In my experience, many sword plants need at the very least good iron sources
at the root to truly flourish, again in my experience most rooted plants
benefit more from substrate nutrient sources than water column. However many
of the plants I grow can take up nutrients just as easily or primarily from
the water column, which is why I make sure I have an abundance of nutrients
in the water column as well. Haven't a nutrient rich substrate does not
cause problems as long as the substrate is capable of holding them in the
substrate which is why a high CEC is important. And certainly cat littler is
not the only material out there with a high CEC, especially now. Eco
Complete and Flourite immediately come to mind of course, but there are many
alternatives, usually some form of fracted clay such as Schultz or Profile
or Turface or Structure. Many are intended as an amendment for soil but work
equally well in aquatic gardening, although the latter products are inert
and have no nutrient value in and of themselves.

In a fast growing tank like mine, I've never thought to stir up the
substrate as a maintenance procedure, but it can't hurt. I end up pulling up
a few plants every week so I suppose I'm getting some benefit there. I just
ripped out a Frankenstein sword, the roots covered easily 1/4 of the tank,
it's now growing emersed in our green house as a whim. As for snails,
Malaysian trumpet snails are used just for the purpose you imagine.