RE: [AGA-Member] SYMPOSIUM ON AQUATIC PLANTS January 2006 Brussels

The location theory is interesting and seems to have evolutionary base. I
myself observe the same location spesificity in lakes and rivers here in
Turkey although not exactly as it is  mentioned in the theory. The
evolutionary explanations summerize million years of life experince and I
think this kind of viewpoint surpasses little individual variations.
Sometimes I see vallisneria or sagittaria species in the middle of a deep
river and find a huge colony of myriophyllum or potamogeton species in very
shallow sections. On the other hand I agree with the location theory that
different collonies of one specific species tend to be located in the
similar environmental conditions (e.g. light, speed of stream, depth) in the
same river.

Another interesting thing is that crypto melting seems a unique phenomena
among cryptos not among rosette plants. Other rosette plants which should
share the same location (according to the location theory) do not show an
immediate decay reaction. I never saw any echinodorus melted in one day
though vallisneria sometimes gets brown within one night.

Faruk