Re: [AGA-Member] Low-light tanks & CO2

--- Heather J Gladney <hgladney@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I'd like to hear more about how to keep them, too.
> Currently got BGA in
> my tank (bleahh!) and yet fairly high N going, so I
> suspect that I let
> my tank's TDS get too high, not enough water changes, for
> discus.

How high is high? Also, what are the phoshpate levels?

If the nitrates are high but the phosphates are remaining
at about 1 ppm, continue dosing the phosphates but let lay
off on the nitrates until the level gets down closer to
about 10 ppm. Each 50% water change should cut the nitrate
level in half. It might then build or decline between water
changes depending on feeding and dosing.

Some have said bga occurs due to nitrate limitation. I've
seen it when the nitrates are very high. This could be due
to a combination of related factors, such as not enough
other nutrients for the plants to be able to use up the
nitrates.

Anyhow, try to aim for the targets and see if things don't
clear up that way. OF course, physcally remove what bga or
algae you can before a water change is always a big help.

good luck, good fun,
sh

Coming Soon in November, the winners and all the other beautiful entries in the 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest. Every continent is represented -- except Antarctica. Maybe next year Antarctica, too ;-)

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org