Re: [AGA-Member] RE: Madagascar Lace plant

I bought a Madagascar Lace plant two years ago at Petsmart and it's been
growing like a strong weed ever since. Puts up flowers all the time. It's in
an area of the tank where no other plant roots are around the bulb. The
single bulb is now 4-5 bulbs.

A couple things I do that most people don't do are actinic lights in
addition to metal halide (150 watt 6500K), and a .10% (1000 ppm) sodium
chloride level.

I've since decided to try stopping the sodium chloride. I do a 40% weekly
water change and replace with RO/DI water and reconstitute. So I've simply
stopped adding the salt. It's three weeks now, salt level is down to
.01-.02%, and the lace plant doesn't seem to be responding too well. I'm not
sure if this is attributable to osmotic shock (due to the change in specific
gravity) or if the plant simply grows best in estuaries were salinity levels
are in the .10% range. I know Kasselmann says she only observed the plant
growing in freshwater forest streams and rivers among calcium carbonate
rocks, but also in a lot of other different areas. Her maximum TDS readings
were 500 ppm.