Re: [AGA-Member] Rookie Questions

Compresed gas CO2 systems tend to be very stable; all you need is a tank, regulator and metering valve, and some way to let the CO2 be absorbed (either a mixing chamber, like this

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

 or feed the CO2 line into a powerhead or canister filter intake).

You can measure KH and pH and estimate the amount of CO2 in the water, using the table shown here, among other places

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=19849&cid=4204&search=

Once you have the system set it will remain stable at the meterd flow rate until the tank starts to get low -- then you get a refill.

If you add CO2 in a well planted tank, and provide water current so that all the plants can get the CO2, the plants will provide an ample supply of O2 -- no airstones necessary for the fish. In fact, airstones, waterfalls, biowheels, will tend to shed CO2 and result in lower O2.

You can run the CO2 with a solenoid valve controlled by a pH controller or the timer for your lights or jsut skip the solenoid and run it 24-7. The pH controller method is expensivie and has little to recomend it. Running off the lights' timer saves some CO2 but costs you a solenoid. 24-7 is the cheapest but uses more CO2. I wrote up an article on this in the current issue of AFM. Borrow a copy from a friend  ;-)  or check out the web sites listed below.

Use any substrate that looks nice, doesn't leach dangerous chems, preferably porous clay or clay like. Once it gets some mulm build up, it won't matter much what kind of substrate you have -- this is is happily so since aquatic plants can get their nutrients form the water column. Fine sand is easy to plant in but can compact and become anerobic in places. 2-3 mm grain size works well. Marble-sized rocks can be unsightly, trap too much detritus, and, don't hold plants very well.

Get plants the are easy to grow and add harder onces as your thumb gets greener. Many of the commonly available Echinodorus are very easy to grow as are many of the stem plants. Water sprite is a very good plant for a starter tank. You can float or plant it and it grows quickly if floating, takes up lots of nutrients, is easy to prune, and any piece can develop into another plant ;-)

I'm sure you'll have plenty of specific suggestions from others.

There is some info that you might find useful onthese topics here:

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/t/alist40.aspx?category=The+Aquarium+Fish+AquaBotanist&cid=4204

Ben Belton wrote an excellent primer on aquatic gardening and you can read it here:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/01_intro.html

have plants, have fun,
sh

Convention Registration is OPEN!
Convention registrants can sign up for the the Field Trip to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. Over half the Field Trip slots are taken & we can't add any more once the 50 slots are taken.

The 2006 Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention is open for registration now.

Details are posted at http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/convention.html