Re: dwarf fish

this is exactly why i like this list, lots of good experience and advice.  Ok, no to the 5.5.  How about a 10 for the brichardi, it says in baensch that they are kind of a harem breeder, so one male to a few females?  i don't want war.  so far i have just the one pair but can get more if i need to.  I wanted a shell dweller tho.  I can always put these brichardi in my 35 long and a shell dweller pair in a 10 at the office.  i have vol. 1 and 3 of baensch so let me know what pages to look up or full names if you have suggestions.  i will look into the ones helen mentinoed, thank you again!
kym
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 2:38 PM
Subject: RE: dwarf fish

I know this is very off topic, but having kept many shelldwellers and various other species of lamprologines, I would be very hesitant about putting any of them in a 5.5.  N. multifasciatus is, I believe, a colony breeder and does not do well unless in a group. In my experience, Lamprologus ocellatus have been the least aggressive (I spawned a pair in a 15 gal). Another factor to remember is that Tanganyikan, Malawian and Victorian cichlids all tend to be quite finicky in regards to nitrate levels. These would be difficult to maintain in an office 5.5.

At least, that's my experience so far. I would have to agree with other suggestions like borelli.

Good luck

dominic

oh, and btw - i've had N. brichardi and N. pulcher beat the @#$%^ out of everything else in a 100 and 130. Once they start guarding fry, they are extremely territorial and dangerous.