Re: Feeder fish

Colin Dujardin wrote:
> I'd love to have a tank with for central host a pair of dwarf
> crenicichla specie, regani for exemple.
> I know these fish are mostly carnivorous, maybe thay can be fed with
> classical live or frozen food, but it would or might be interesting to
> feed them with live fishes also.
>
> So, if you had to chose a feeder fish that you would breed, what fish or
> fishes would you chose, and what would be the set up you would make for
> this.
> Colin Dujardin

Colin,

Dwarf Crenicichla do occasionally gobble down cichlid fry, especially those
of Apistogramma sp.  They are micro-predators and love to eat cichlid fry
that are < 3 weeks old, before they get too spiny.  If you want to raise
feeder fry, I suggest you get some large Central American cichlasomine or an
acara or something big and prolific and breed the heck out of them.  I've
used Herotilapia multispinosa and Heros appendiculatus for this purpose.

Dwarf pikes: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/art-dwarfpike.html
C. regani: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/reganipage.html
C. notophthalmus: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/notopage.html

Vinny