Re: Feeder fish

Colin writes:

> This is a question i posted with no response on the french ng. Part of a
>  dream.
>  I'd love to have a tank with for central host a pair of dwarf
>  crenicichla specie, regani for exemple.
>  I know these fish are mostly carnivorous, maybe thay can be fed with
>  classical live or frozen food, but it would or might be interesting to
>  feed them with live fishes also.
>
>  So, if you had to chose a feeder fish that you would breed, what fish or
>  fishes would you chose, and what would be the set up you would make for
>  this.
>
>  It might be a better question for larger crenicichla.
>
>  Expecting ideas and experiences,

Dwarf pikes are actually insectivores.  They will eat very small cichlid fry
when available.  My feeder-fry of choice would be convicts.  Once they start
breeding they don't stop for nothing.  They will give you a spawn every two
weeks, and are excellent parents.  Pull the fry as you need them.  After a
week of free-swimmng, move the parents to a second tank, and use up the fry
before the next hatch is free-swimming.  Move the parents back and forth, and
you will have a continuous supply.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com