aggressive cackatoo male

Hi everyone,

Some weeks ago a restarted my old hobby en installed a new 250L tank, with
fish from SA. My main goal was to keep some Apistogramma's. After some
reeding, I decided to keep following fishes together: 1 pair of A.
cacatuoides orange, 1 pair of A. borelli, 5 young Angelfish, 5 young
Corydoras paleatus and a group of Megalamphodus sweglesi. I provide a lot of
hiding places and spwaning places for the apisto's and divided the tank in
several regions by means of pieces of wood and a lot of plants. pH +/-
neutral, KH = 4 and DH = 5. After 4 days my cackatoo's spwaned in a cave that
was enlarged by the female. I could detect +/- 60 red eggs. The female was
aggressively defending the cave but couldn't keep the male away from the
eggs. So 4 days later the female only had like 10 eggs left and at the end of
the day the 10 young fish were also eaten by the male. This male is very
aggressif towards the borellis and his territory spans the whole tank. He
already killed one of the corydoras.
I read about females eating there eggs and fry but after some tries becoming
good mothers. My question now is if I should remove the male and start
looking for another one or if I should just wait and give him a new chance,
hoping that he will learn how to behave? I 'm not interested in breeding them
on large scale so breeding them in a seperate tank, removing
the male from the tank after spawning or removing the eggs is no alternative
for me. I only want to see the fish being "happy" in my tank and would like
to observe the behavior of a good mom and dad apisto!

I want to excuse myself for my terrible english but being a Belgian, english
is not my native
language.

Raf Mols

Raf Mols
Laboratory For Molecular Oncology
Centrum voor Menselijke Erfelijkheid
K.U. Leuven / Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology
Campus Gasthuisberg O&N
Herestraat 49
3000 Leuven
Belgium