Re: Failure keeping cichlids in the long term

It probably isnt so much that the fish are not adaptable to the conditions. It
is a change in their normal water. For example, the fish that are in there already
have passed the test of time and become acustomed to the water in your tank.
The new fish however, are used to water that may be substantially different
and the switch causes them to suffer an immune deficiency. This results in a
situation where your other fish have healthy immune systems and can survive
whatever is there while the new additions are not very successful as they have
no chance to gain resistance. I would suggest some large water changes. I had
a tank where this was happening to me and I did three changes of about 50% or
more and the tank is home to a new family (just saw the fry last night and they
are almost a half incch long!) of Julidichromis dickfeldi. Water testing is
definitely called for. Another possibility is that you are adding too much CO2
or that maybe the difference in the CO2 is caused by there being too many plants.
At night yur plants are releasing CO2 and causing those levels to raise (you
mentioned gasping), come morning the plants are chugging out a bunch of O2 and
then everything swings back that way. With wild swings like that only the heartiest
fish will survive. Of course, its sort of a natural selection thing and might
be good in the long run for keeping healthy blood-lines ;-)