Re: Failure keeping cichlids in the long term

Alysoun McLaughlin wrote:

> Gary posted:
>
> > Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:09:11 -0500
> > From: Frauley/Elson <fraulels@minet.ca>
> > Subject: Re: Failure keeping cichlids in the long term
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm no expert on water, but have you tested your pH?  heavy planting, no
> > losses of fish from extremely acidic conditions...
> > Could you be getting a pH crash?
> > Gary
>
> Possible.  But wouldn't cardinal tetras be the first to respond with
> symptoms of ich, etc.?

Someone (I am sorry I didn't save the message to say who) had a very
good point a day or two ago in saying the newest arrivals would go
first.
I've also lost territorial fish several times from set-ups in which
schooling fish seemed unaffected. The former are usually larger, and
I've speculated about whether the territorial life can be more stressful
in its demands on the fish in an enclosed aquarium system.
Cardinals are hardy fish - very hardy in my experience. They aren't up
there with Keith Richards and cockroaches, but once acclimated, they're
survivors.
Gary