From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of Scott Olson
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 8:42 PM
To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
Subject: Re: FW: Newbie with some questions about kribs

It sounds like you may have a spawn soon...but it also sounds as though
you're not certain that you have a true pair.  If your male is truly a male,
he should have longer extensions on the dorsal and anal fins than the female
shows.  Also, if the fish are the same age, male kribs are noticeably larger
than females.

At any rate, pelvicachromis females normally develop HUGE bellies just
before spawning, and the abdominal area intensifies in color.  I'd say the
excavating is a good sign.

Feed a lot of high-protein food, such as diced earthworms and frozen
bloodworms, along with brine shrimp nauplii, if available. Water changes
help, too.

Kribs are one of the easier dwarf cichlids to spawn, in my experience.

Albino kribs are not rare.  Personally, I MUCH prefer wild-type fish to
captive 'sports' like albinos, long-finned varieties, etc.  Just my
preference, though.

Good luck,

Scott

>From: "Sandy Erickson" <sandy00@earthlink.net>
>

>Recently, I purchased a female and male pelvicachromis pulcher.  They were
>not a known breeding pair.  Both of them are about 2" in length and the
>female's belly is quite red/purplish.  I introduced them into a tank (by
>themselves) with two caves in it.  The first few days of their
>introduction,
>the female took control of one cave and periodically chased the male around
>the tank aggressively.  About a week into it, she seemed to accept the male
>and he now joins her frequently in the cave.  She (or he) has dug into the
>gravel underneath the cave and surrounding it and now has several entrances
>to the cave.  (They also managed to unearth the undergravel filter bed
>inside the cave...now have learned that a filter should have been in the
>gravel to prevent this...)  She spends quite a bit of time in the cave but
>have not seen any eggs/fry so far.
>
>I'm wondering if the likelihood of their pairing to breed is probable based
>on their behavior.  (The shop I bought them at also had an albino pair that
>had bred successfully multiple times but I ended up getting these two
>instead.)
>
>Also wondering if the albino pair is rare.
>
>Thanks for any information/advice you can provide.
>
>Sandy Erickson

Archives"!