Re: Failure keeping cichlids in the long term

Dionigi Maladorno posted:

> Alysoun, it is almost impossible to manage disease outbreaks
> without doing ALL the necessary homework. Diseases may be
> environmental, genetic, infective, etc. and all sorts of combinations
> may occur. So, if you do not establish some firm point of reference,
> such as whether or not your water quality is acceptable, to then
> exclude or retain all the other possible explanations becomes
> practically impossible. Also, basic fish husbandry rules, such
> as quarantine of new fish, should be followed. So if you do not
> provide specific details you can post your
> doubts, get all sorts of answers, and be still as uncertain as you were
> originally. If instead you check the water quality, and describe exactly
and
> in detail the symptoms you see and those occurred in the past, maybe
> somebody on the list will be able to make educated guesses on
> what is going on in your tank specifically. Also, becoming familiar
> with a fish disease book I am sure will help you a lot to recognize
> what are the things to look for.

Point taken.  Time for the test kits and the log.  Sigh.

Thanks for the all of the responses I've received.  Because of them, I'm now
thinking in some new directions, less about diseases or environmental
factors that might be affecting only certain fish, and more about the
possibility that the tetras have built up some immunity to changing water
conditions, while the cichlids and labyrinth fish, perhaps, have not.

Thanks again.

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD