RE: Failure keeping cichlids in the long term

Very interesting Doug. Also things going anaerobic will probably crash the
pH as well.

Some other parameters for the discussion:

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned so far in this discussion
(forgive me if I'm wrong) is that Cardinals tend to love the pH being on the
low side, and require this from birth to reproduce....., and I know they can
handle pH crashes well. Harlequins too (if good stock) can handle pH crashes
but not to the Cardinals level.

The catfish (if air breathing enabled - Corys etc) and labyrinth fish you
would expect to survive better if the general oxygen levels dropped, and
both can moderately handle pH crashes. But in the honey dwarf gouramis
quality of stock is also a parameter.

Scot Gillespie