----Original Message Follows----
From: Doug Dunlop <baddog@telusplanet.net>

My vote would have to go to anaerobic substrate.  I have had similar
outbreaks
in the past where suddenly, a dozen or more fish (in my case ancistrus) are
found dead while cardinal tetras are happily swimming about.  My theory is
(and
it is only a theory) that pockets of hydrogen sulphide and possibly methane
formed in the substrate.