Re: Anerobic substrate... was Failure keeping cichlids in the long term

Thanks to everyone for your reply...

I was quite curious about Gary's response, and found myself wondering what
kind of substrate do you have with your undergravel filter?

I have only seen 1 tank with an undergravel filter and apistos and great
plant growth without any problems. It's substrate consisted of large
polished stones 1" in diameter or larger, no sand, no gravel.  It was a 225
gallon tank, and has tons of plants thriving in it, but they are all Java
fern/windelov type plants.  I do believe he also has a sponge filter in one
corner of the tank as well.

I'm sure the type of substrate makes a great deal of difference concerning
how much anerobic activity will occur.  Does the force of a powerhead help
as well?

Thanks,

Phil Eaton
Dallas TX

----Original Message Follows----
From: Frauley/Elson <fraulels@minet.ca>

Hi,
I use sponge-filters in all my apisto tanks, because homemade ones are
so cheap and easy. I have undergravel for some of my killies, and in a
showtank in my dining room. I've run the latter for 7 years now, with
excellent plant growth, and no die offs. It's the most stable tank I
have ever owned. I'll jinx myself by saying this, but I have never
treated any disease in that tank, and every fish death in it has
involved aged specimens. It is an almost mystical tank to me - I wish I
knew what was right with it.
However, I can say the UG filter can't be wrong with it. I tend towards
the idea a UG with a powerhead like this one works better than air
driven versions though.
It isn't an apisto tank per se - it's a cardinal tank, with corydoras,
mixer tetras I've picked from shipments and odds and ends apistos,
mismatched fish, extra males, etc.
Oh yes, I vacuum the gravel every two months or so.
Gary