Re: A. sp. Wangenflecken??

Thanks Vinny, Mike and all.

(Heavy, heavy sigh!)  So it sounds like my cool little fish may be a
hybrid...I hope not!  Since you were able to breed them, Vinny, I'll keep
hoping that they are a true species (many hybrids are sterile, or nearly so)
- it sounds like Kozlowski thinks so!  I'll keep hoping that some Singaprean
or Czechoslovakian breeder is pumping out a lot of little fishies and
selling only males.

The first apistos I bred were A. caetei, and I had what I think were true
resticulosa a few years ago.  Nice fish, both.  One very noticeable quality
of the caetei was the pronounced lessening of color - both blue/green and
rusty red - on the head of males of succeeding generations.  Even the f1
males (like the male pictured in Linke and Staeck)were a lot less colorful
than their wild-caught fathers  - and way less colorful than the
'wangenflecken' I have now.

The wangenflecken has several characteristics (or lack thereof) that I think
may separate it from either species.  These are:

Blue reticulation up the forehead and extending up to the dorsal fin.

No sub-lateral line diagonal black striping on the 'wangenflecken' - in any
mood, at least that I have seen.

The metallic reticulation is undeniably BLUE.  Not blue-green as I think I
remember on caetei and the cf. resticulosa that I had.  Same for metallic
sheen on body scales.

Oh, well, enough for now.  I'm torn between hoping for the best (that this
is a valid species, or form of caetei or resticulosa) or at worst a
captive-bred variety, and disappointment that it may be just a hybrid.

(Heavy, heavy sigh)

Thanks again!

Scott