Re: A. sp. ??

>From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>

>Many fish lose color in captive breeding situations. Who knows the cause?
>Water
>chemistry? Food? It's just one of those things that happens. If we knew
>more
>about their environment and habits I would expect that the colors would
>come back
>in many species.

Yeah, it would be good to know what causes this.  It doesn't seem to be
anything that affects adults or sub-adults, since they seem to retain good
color in captivity for the most part...it must then be some factor that
affects the eggs or young fry.  I don't believe it's in-breeding, since f1
fish from probably unrelated wild pairs show this tendency.

So, you're right, that would seem to leave water, food, perhaps hormones
exuded by adults in a confined environment??

>Sorry, the fish pictured as A. caetei in Linke & Staeck is actually A. sp.
>Paraguay (I) and please don't use Wangenflecken for your fish. They are
>very
>different. We don't need to confuse the issue more than it already is.

Sorry, I will no longer use Wangenflecken for this fish).  Would it be
acceptable to refer to them as blue-head caetei or A. sp. affin caetei
'blue-head'?

Thanks,

Scott