Re: Mis-ID in Mayland and Bork?

Dan,

I checked my M&B for the two species listed. The A. macmasteri is the real mac.
Caudal spot and other dark markings are correct. As for the A. viejita, I think
it is actually the Rotflecken form ("A. viejita" CF II) of A. sp. Schwarzkehl
("A. viejita" CFIII) or possibly a cross between the true A. viejita &
Rotflecken. The fish pictured is a domestic form produced by Hüser. The colors
are too intense and finnage too exaggerated to tell for certain. Macs and all the
viejita-forms can produce caudal extensions; this isn't diagnostic for either
species. All have similar sized & shaped dorsal fins, too. BTW the fish that won
the ACA best of show was a Rotflecken, not a true A. viejita.

Mike Wise