Re: checking water parameters

In a message dated 2/14/2000 7:26:12 PM Mountain Standard Time,
webwill@infinet.net writes:

> Bob,
>
>  I would like to be able to 'dose' it correctly without going overboard-- is
>  there a amount that you would recommend on a per gallon basis to achieve a
>  desirable pH, hardness and alkalinity.  Our water here is more or less
>  distilled (30-50 micro siemens with KH GH <1).

 I haven't messed with it enough to really establish a quantitative approach.
 I run water through a de-ionizer into a 45-gallon tank.  Then I stick a box
filter full of dolomite into the tank and run it overnight.  The next
evening, alkalinity is around 1 degree, and Ca and Mg concentrations are
sufficient for the plants.  When the filter starts to run out, I refill it.I
can't get into the highly detailed measurements some people LOVE to fiddle
with.

Oh, yeah, I lined the box filter with a very thin layer of foam so the stuff
doesn't escape.

Bob