Re: The great ones

Matt & all you ol' timers,

You mentioned many aquarists who I have grown to respect over the years (I still keep my Innes book handy - much tape strategically applied - even though it was the first aquarium book I ever
owned)

Two of my main mentors no one mentioned. Gary Grant was my inspiration to delve deeper into apistos back in the early 1980s. He had a shy nature, but a passion for apistos, similar to that of
Uwe's. He supplied me with hard to get papers, etc. that are now the core of my dwarf cichlid library. Sadly, he dropped out of the hobby just as I was getting some knowledge. Does anyone know
anything about his present whereabouts? It was like he walked into the north woods of Michigan and never came out.

My other and present mentor is a biology teacher in Gladbeck, Germany. I started reading his material back in the early 1980s (and it wasn't easy; he has a complex writing style like PVL). His
explanations on how to identify apistos was so much simpler than those of other writers of the time that even I found IDing apistos much more easy. Americans thought that I was the apisto ID
expert of all time, but I was only using his method and adding new material to his data. It has only been the last year or so that personal correspondence has become a weekly joy to receive - and
also an agony. He has provided me with so much (too much!!) data at times, much of it still unpublished! I am now certain that I am only the student & he is the Master. I can hardly wait to see
his latest work due out early next year. Thank you, Marco, for introducing me personally to Ingo Koslowski.

Mike Wise