Re: Egg colour!!

I feel I must correct some misconceptions in this message before they are
repeated as gospel truths.

As Bob says egg color is primarily a function of the mother's food. I have had
successful hatches of white, gray, greenish white, orange, and red cacatuoides
eggs. White fuzzy eggs are another matter altogether!

Female A. cacatuoides WILL eat fungused eggs. This is how they keep the fungused
ones from infecting nearby healthy eggs. Humans consider some fungi as food, why
not fish?

pH does have some effect on sex ratios of apistos but, as stated many times on
this list in the past, temperature is the primary factor in determining sex
ratios in this genus. When pH does apply, the tendency is to have more males with
decreasing (acidic) pH values.

I am surprised at the problems being experienced with A. cacatuoides! This is a
fish that normally is considered a beginner's apisto. Probably the easiest way to
breed them is to use a pair in a tank with 24" x 12" (60 cm x 30 cm) bottom area.
Provide 2 - 3 hiding places for each fish (male & female). Break up the tank so
that there are no open views of one side from the other. If your male continually
harasses the female add a similar sized male cichlid of another species
(Laetacara work well) as a target fish. Add water with a pH of 6.5 - 7.2,  a
hardness <10º dH and around 79ºF (26ºC). Do weekly water changes and gravel
cleaning. Feed a varied diet of flakes, pellets, frozen and even some live foods.
Your fish should breed soon if sexually mature. Once you see the female in yellow
& black brood colors, remove the male & any other fish in the tank. If this
doesn't work after a few tries I would consider finding another male because it
would seem yours is shooting "blanks". I have heard that many of the highly
colored domestic forms of A. cacatuoides have an unusually high proportion of
infertile males. If this is the case, maybe wild cacatuoides would be a better
bet as a first apisto. Another possibility is the presence of heavy metals in
your tap water. I was told recently at a trout rearing facility near me that
trout couldn't be hatched at the facility because the high (but safe for human
consumption) levels of zinc in the water prevented the trout eggs from hatching.
Maybe the same is possible for apistos??

Mike Wise