Re: New list member with questions...

Hi Chad,
Welcome to the list.
Your questions may cook up some debate here. I'll start as I'm an early
riser. I'd say your fish were ammonia burned somewhere along the way,
and that you offered excellent conditions. However, the medications
didn't help. It's important to only treat clear conditions. Antibiotics
in pet stores are illegal where I live. I was upset when the law passed
a few years ago - now, I lose fewer fish and buy my black market
antibiotics at most once every two years. Fish internal medecine is
non-existant for most hobbyists. We se an illness and fire a broadside
of drugs to maybe cure it. Often, that can kill the fish, although i
doubt it in your case.
The german fish are bred in soft water then acclimated to harder water
for the business.
I do well fighting brown algae with new lightbulbs, or more light. I
only get it in underlit tanks.
Your hydra? I wish I knew. Copper medications reduce them, but aren't
great for the fish. All commercial hydra-whackers and list suggestions
have failed for me. I've learned to live with them. They come and go
with the brine shrimp feedings. Since I've started feeding more
decapsulated brine shrimp, I've seen a serious decrease in hydra.
Keep posting,
Gary

  Further information: I am told