Re: Line Drawings

Don,

I, too, liked the drawings at the end of the book. It made it easier to find a
fish like the one I was trying to ID. Most of Linke's drawings (he did them) are
pretty accurate. I'm really impressed at the accuracy of the species he hadn't
even seen. Fortunately most are still in the later editions, but only in the
species' section. The ones that aren't accurate are: A. meinkeni (actually A. cf.
meinkeni); A. luelingi (needs anterior dorsal fin lappets & lyrate caudal fin);
A. hoignei (female doesn't have the spot on the soft dorsal as described by
Meinken); A. uaupesi (based on juvenile male but Breitbinden if OK); A.
resticulosa (actually A. sp. Wangenflecken; lateral band should almost touch the
caudal spot); A. caetei (actually A. sp. Paraguay I; Bar 7 dark only below
lateral band); A. moae (actually A. eunotus?); A. piauiensis (Bar 7 visible above
& below lateral band): A. sp. Parallellstreifen  [= A. cruzi from the Rio Mazan;
fish pictured is A. sp. Putumayo or A. sp. aff. cruzi (Algodon)]; A. hongsloi
(not the blue form/Rotstrich, but similar to the Venezuelan forms); A. regani
(probably A. sp. São Gabriel).

For those interested, the ACA distributed the 1st edition of the L&S book in the
US and, I believe, the BCA did the same in the UK. The English translation was
made by Maureen Pinder (a German language student) for Jeff Challands. I traded a
copy for a copy of Schmettkamp's translation that I did. I then got him to submit
it to the ACA who got permission to publish the English translation from Tetra. I
don't have the ACA's published translation even though I helped edit it for them.
I'm happy with Jeff's manuscript.

Mike Wise