Re: Underwater filming of freshwater fish Was: "Amazonia" on PBS

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, V Kutty wrote:

> I'd say the locals would put Sting Rays on top of the list.  They are not
> unafraid of Piranhas but they would be very cautious about tossing a live
> specimen in the canoe - they flop around and snap.  You could lose a toe.
> As for the Candiru, they are everywhere in white water.  Are there any
> medical-types out there? Kathy?  I'm looking for one of those glucose bags
> with the drip hose that I can take down there for the next trip.  The plan
> is to...uh...ahem...add an ammonia source to the bag and drip into the river
> to see if these guys are truly attracted.  My theory is that they are not
> going to be too interested since they can find gills of large fish, a source
> of blood/protein, fairly easily.

Vinny,

Sorry took me awhile to wade through all the mail.  It was a little busy
last week and I didn't check email for a few days....and....yiks!!!  There
were over 210 emails in the apisto box!  Busy.

When Erik and I went to the Rio Solimoes and Rio Negro the natives were
definitely the most worried about sting rays.  They must be mean guys, we
swam on the Negro while one group went out trolling and brought back a
giant Black Pirahna.

As for the Candiru I heard so much about them before I left but never saw
them.....I hear there have been no recent reported cases and less than
five overall.

...men just wear tight speedo's   :)

And nobody pee in the water and you should be okay.

Great idea on the IV bag.  I must try that next time.

My biggest worries.....the parasites.  I won't go there...I had a friend
work for two months in Peru, some things are incurable.  We live in a good
part of the world, but it didn't stop me from getting in the water.

Kathy