Re: My krib won't spawn

Hi Ken,

> Firstly are you sure the kribs are as pair?  The male will have a spade
> shaped tail fin and an extended point at the rear of the dorsal fin.  The
> female will have pelvic fins that are club shaped and not pointed like the
> male's.  If the female is courting the male she will curve her body into an
> "S" shape and dance in front of the male.   I have read magazine articles by
> Mary Bailey in that she says that some males are just not interested so
> perhaps you could try swapping him for another.  Don't add another male in
> addition as this may lead to serious fighting.

Yup, they are what you've described above, right to the dot, including the
female courtship part. I'm considering swapping the male/

> Have you any suitable spawning places provided?  Unlike your Rams which
> spawn in the open Kribs are secretive spawners and like to hide their eggs
> away.  The easiest solution is to provide small clay flowerpots turned up on
> their rims.  You can either break a notchout of the rim or enlarge the
> drainage hole in the bottom so that they can get in and out.

I've got a piece of rock with a large semi circular hole in the centre, just
like the flower clay pot.

> A female ready to spawn will have a red belly that looks swollen.

Very swollen and red!

> What are you feeding the adults?  They may not spawn if only fed on flake
> food.  Try feeding frozen foods such as bloodworms and brine shrimp.

I'm using pellet food and tablets, as I'm afraid of messing up the planted tank.
However, there should be some live food in there, as my swordtails spawn
continuosly, and only a small percentage makes it to teens.

Thanks for your advise Ken, I think I'll probably swap the male for another.

Cheers,

Kenny