RE: My krib won't spawn

Hi and welcome,

You do have a lot of fish in the tank but it is large.

Firstly are you sure the kribs are as pair?  The male will have a spade
shaped tail fin and an extended point at the rear of the dorsal fin.  The
female will have pelvic fins that are club shaped and not pointed like the
male's.  If the female is courting the male she will curve her body into an
"S" shape and dance in front of the male.   I have read magazine articles by
Mary Bailey in that she says that some males are just not interested so
perhaps you could try swapping him for another.  Don't add another male in
addition as this may lead to serious fighting.

Have you any suitable spawning places provided?  Unlike your Rams which
spawn in the open Kribs are secretive spawners and like to hide their eggs
away.  The easiest solution is to provide small clay flowerpots turned up on
their rims.  You can either break a notchout of the rim or enlarge the
drainage hole in the bottom so that they can get in and out.

A female ready to spawn will have a red belly that looks swollen.  After
spawning the female will stay in the pot and may not be seen for eight days
when she will emerge with her free-swimming fry.  The male should directly
take part in caring for the fry.  The fry should be fed small foods such as
baby brine shrimp and powdered flake.

What are you feeding the adults?  They may not spawn if only fed on flake
food.  Try feeding frozen foods such as bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Hope this helps,
Ken - Scotland.