Anomalochromis thomasi question

My local Petsmart has A. thomasi (which, besides kribs, are the only
dwarf cichlids they've ever had).  From what I find out, sexing them
is a little "indefinite".  The fish in the aquariums at the store
have set up something of a territorial arrangement.    Two of the
slightly larger fish, which also have darker coloration, have
established territories on opposite ends of the tank.  Is it safe to
assume that these two are males?  I'd like to purchase at least a
pair and try to breed them in a well planted 10G.  Should I take a
chance and buy only 2, hoping that I get a pair.  Or could I purchase
one of the "males" and 2 or 3 of the other smaller, lesser colored
individuals and safely keep them in such a small tank?

Thanks,

Michael Brock