Re: SA Dwarfs and discus?

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:11:16 -0000, Helen Burns wrote:

>Matthijs,
>I'm sorry but I disagree with you on this.  From personal experience Discus
>will, to a certain extent defend their young but are no match to the cunning
>ways of Apistogrammas and a dwarf pike.

I also have personal experience in this field. I've seen a discus kill a male
Apistogramma agassizii. The apisto refused to stay out of the discus's territory and the
male discus killed him with one swift attack. I could heard the apisto's swim blatter
break. That was in a 600 gallon tank. The apisto had all space he needed to swim to
safety but he simply refused.

>Also Cardinals, neons etc, etc will have a field day predating on Discus fry.

I agree on that. Cardinals are great fry predators that are clever enough not to
approach an adult discus.

Greetings, Matthijs

e-mail:	emwee@chello.nl