Re: apisto pairs

Hello Sam Yung
I would venture to say i know the source of your pet shops fish.   Just
north of Toronto in Orilla Ontario, there is a place called Rift Valley
lake breeders that supply alot of african to the shops in southern,
eastern Ontario and west Quebec.
The people that run this place do breed quite a bit of the fish the sell
but also bring in alot of wild caught fish.   I have purchased
Cacatuoides and Borellis from them at the last OCA Cichlid Extravaganza
this past november.
The fish they sell are of really really good quality.   As a matter of
fact I'm picking up fish from the at the end of this coming week.   I
haven't had a single problem with the fish i bought from them, all still
alive and doing well.  I picked up A. Agassizi Red/gold, Cacatuoides
Double reds and sp Opal ( Borelli type) from them, very nice fish, plus
they had a very nice selection of westies.   My point here being ( sorry
for rambling) is that I would guess if there was problems with the fish
you bought it came from inproper conditions at the pet shop and not from
the wholesaler.    Judith Irwins fish are really good quality stuff, not
just the apistos but her african rift lake stuff too.    I don't mean to
plug her products but i will defend her.    I gladly and openly defend
anyone i have had good dealings with.

I guess my next logical question would be what kind of water conditions
are you trying to keep your fish in?   What kinds of foods do you use
and how often do you do water changes?   Food, temperature, water
quality and water changes will drastically effect the fish you keep.

If you have any other question, feel free to contact me off list if you
want, i always love trying to help someone out who's into dwarf cichlids
or any kind of fish for that matter.

John Wubbolt