Re: Rio Tefe

Vern,

This is an update on what I've previously reported on A. sp. Tefé (I think Erik
has it recorded on the Krib web site). It now appears that there are only 2
agassizii-complex species from the Rio Tefé, one is a standard aggie and the
other is a separate species (A. sp. Tefé). I have been told by other German
hobbyists that the breeding experiments used by Peter & Martin Hoffmann not only
could not be repeated, but that the Tefé I & II forms readily interbreed for
other hobbyists. This contradicts the Hoffmann's published report indicating 2
different species of Tefé.

Randy's photo of Tefé shows  the many wavy horizontal lines that
characterize the Tefé II form of the specie. The 2 forms of this species can be
easily separated by the pattern of horizontal stripes on the flanks. Tefé I has
stripes composed of dark pigment only on the front edges of the scales. The same
stripes in Tefé II are formed by black pigment surrounding the entire outer edges

of the scales. Crossing the 2 forms reportedly produces only Tefé I type
horizontal stripes, so the type II form must be recessive. Color forms are in the

eyes of the owner. In Koslowski's 1994 article on Apistos of the Rio Tefé he
pictures a red backed and a white form of what appear to be Tefé I and a yellow
form of Tefé II. He doesn't distinguish between the 2 forms. Matsuzaka's book
Aquarium 2300 Atlas shows a yellow & a blue Tefé, both Tefé II.

That's the latest info that I have.

Mike Wise