Re: Rio Tefe

Mike,

When differentiating the ID between the two forms, I see a definite
difference in the black around the scales you are talking about when
comparing Randy's photo to Uwe's photo on David Soares site.

When you started listing the color forms near the end, you didn't include
what "shows up as" purple in the Photo on David Soares' website, and again
on Julio Melgar's site.  In the eye of the beholder leads me to believe that
the fish in Uwe's photo is "Purple".  Am I seeing in the photo (and I know
color doesn't matter in the ID ;-)) a reflected color, or a body color?
And, is this a Type I Tefe?  If not, do you know of a good reference photo
for the Type I?  And if it isn't a Type I, what is it?

As a side note, became interested in apistos because of the spectacular
photo by Uwe Romer on Dave's site.  Someday when I get the husbandry down, I
was hoping to keep a pair of them for no other reason than to enjoy the
uniqueness of that fish.

REF:
Uwe Romer's photo @ David Soares' site...
http://geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7918/aggriotefe.gif

Julio Melgar's photo...
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Aatefema.gif

Randy's Type II (Per Mike)  BTW, Beautiful Fish!
http://characin.com/carey/species/cichlid/apistos/a_tefe.html

Thanks for the info...

Phil

PS.  I just finished a tank stand to hold 6 15 gallon tanks and a Daphnia
culture in my bedroom... I finally convinced my wife that fish would make a
lovely decoration!

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>

<---snip--->
Randy's photo of Tefé shows  the many wavy
horizontal lines that
characterize the Tefé II form of the specie. The 2
forms of this species can be
easily separated by the pattern of horizontal
stripes on the flanks. Tefé I has
stripes composed of dark pigment only on the front
edges of the scales. The same
stripes in Tefé II are formed by black pigment
surrounding the entire outer edges
of the scales. Crossing the 2 forms reportedly
produces only Tefé I type
horizontal stripes, so the type II form must be
recessive. Color forms are in the
eyes of the owner. In Koslowski's 1994 article on
Apistos of the Rio Tefé he
pictures a red backed and a white form of what
appear to be Tefé I and a yellow
form of Tefé II. He doesn't distinguish between
the 2 forms. Matsuzaka's book
Aquarium 2300 Atlas shows a yellow & a blue Tefé,
both Tefé II.

That's the latest info that I have.

Mike Wise