Re: Rio Tefe

Phil Eaton wrote:

> Mike,
>
> When you started listing the color forms near the end, you didn't include
> what "shows up as" purple in the Photo on David Soares' website, and again
> on Julio Melgar's site.  In the eye of the beholder leads me to believe that
> the fish in Uwe's photo is "Purple".  Am I seeing in the photo (and I know
> color doesn't matter in the ID ;-)) a reflected color, or a body color?
> And, is this a Type I Tefe?  If not, do you know of a good reference photo
> for the Type I?  And if it isn't a Type I, what is it?

Phil,

The dark wavy lines usually are an oxblood color when stuck by light. This is the
purple that you see on Uwe's & Julio's fish. All Tefés would look like this if
they had a light shined on them properly. I feel that Uwe's photo is slightly
'enhanced'. Note the violet cast on the white part of the tail. It's possible
that a magenta filter was put over the flash or something like that. Both fish
mentioned are probably Tefé II forms, but you can't see the scales totally
surrounded due to the shininess of the scales. Type I Tefés show broke lines,
more like a series of dashes running parallel to the lateral band like on
Vierstreifen/4-stripe apistos. The only photo I know of this type is in the
Hoffmann & Hoffmann article from DATZ.

> As a side note, became interested in apistos because of the spectacular
> photo by Uwe Romer on Dave's site.  Someday when I get the husbandry down, I
> was hoping to keep a pair of them for no other reason than to enjoy the
> uniqueness of that fish.

Me too!! (no joke!) They're too rich for my blood right now.

Mike Wise