re: Hatching Rams and Water Parameters

Hello everyone,

Not exactly apistogramma...but close enough I hope...

I've been 'playing around' with gold rams for some time now.  They spawn exactly every 2 weeks.  I've found that no matter what I do, adding meth. blue, water changes, etc. they always fungused within 48 hours in my tap water.  My water is usually around the following parameters (taken with tetra test kits):
8 pH; 7 GH; 5 KH; temp. 27-28 C; dont' have a conductivity meter.  After a couple months of this, I decided to let the fish spawn in 3 parts r/o water and 1 part tap, which gave the following parameters (again taken with tetra test kits): 7-7.5 pH; 4-5 GH; 2 KH; temp. still around 27-28 C.  Finally, most of the eggs hatched (even without meth. blue).

I know that many apistos and such need soft water to properly fertilize their eggs.  However, I would have thought that fish like the gold ram that has likely been bred in captivity for many generations would be able to have viable babies in normal tap water (even my rather disagreable stuff)?  Has anyone else had trouble getting baby rams...I know that their extremely easy to breed, but I understand that they are often hard to get fry from.  How do you do it?

Sam Yung