Re: Snail eaters

Hi Mac

I've got Pearls, and a model citizen '3 Spot' or blue gourami female plus a
bunch of dwarf gouramis and honeys all in the same tank with 5 clown
loaches.  Do I have snails????  Yup, but not an out of control population of
them......I think the clowns may get some of the ones I've tossed in there
from other tanks.  But the ones who make it to the upper regions grow
enormous.  These are ramshorns BTW.  (I have to concur about Cosby Strain of
Blue Gouramis - nasty buggers - they were banished to the lfs.  It didn't
make any difference if they were alone or together.  And it didn't help when
they spawned almost immediately after I brought them home.  It was a 'zoo'
in the tank.  I think they need a big pond. :)  They weren't in the same
tank as the Pearls etc.)

In all tanks with apistos and bolivian rams there is 'snail control'; i.e. a
few but not a problem.  I do have Malaysians everywhere, but I like those
little cleaner-uppers.  Maybe I'm partial to creatures who are
parthenogenic.:)

One good thing is that if one crushes the snails between ones fingers and
then drops them in the tank, all fish go wild for the snail meat.
Sometimes, when I find snails at the surface (oh cruel woman) I do this.
Escargot to go.

Gabriella

> There's also a species of Anabantoid which eats snails but cannot remember
> which species I'm afraid.

I read somewhere that Trichogaster leeri (pearl gourami) are fond of
snail.

mac
orion@tri-isys.com
Phillipines